Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Fighting the Flu - Med Free

I am back at work now after a full week of holidays! 7 days of no work, no children, no traffic, no alarms. Just 7 days of catching up with all of my gorgeous friends and their babies, lots of movies, plenty of gym time, shopping and crossing off all those little 'jobs' on my 'to do' list. Oh how wrong I was.

 3 weeks ago I felt it. The sharp pain in my throat as I swallowed. Dam. I hadn't felt this is years. The kids get sick almost every couple weeks but for the past few years my immune system has backed me up and been an armor of steel. Apart from the occasional sore ear, I have not had a cold in...well so long I cant even remember. But this twitch and pain in my throat was all too familiar and I prayed and prayed it would go away just like it does all the time. Not a chance. Thursday came, my last day before holidays, and it hit me. Sore throat, headache, and sore skin. OMG my skin was so sensitive to touch it actually stung! I've never had the flu before, but I after explaining to a few friends my symptoms, I accepted the fact that I was about to tackle my very first flu! I tired to drink plenty of water and kept my talking to a minimum! I was going to crack this flu before it cracked me - medication free!

This is something I haven't really talked about before but I am a medication free girl. I just don't take it. I think our bodies are powerful enough to take care of us. So when I used to get colds or headaches or sore muscles. I dealt with it. I have never taken a cold and flu tablet in my life, panadole, nurofen, nope nope nope and antibiotics...FORGET IT! As a teenager mum used to always find my antibiotic packets hidden around my room with half the packet still left. I couldn't stand them. I was prescribed antibiotics every month of my senior year and it messed with my world dramatically. Ive had enough for a life time. When extreme cases occur, like my surgery a few years ago, I grim and bear it and take what I HAVE to take and then let my body do the rest. I'm not stupid about it, if its needed, I take it, but I listen to my body and trust that I can make the right decision.

So this was my first big challenge as a medication free adult. Taking on the flu. My first flu. It took me 7 days of hard work, determination, will power, lots of water, hot baths, eucalyptus oil, lemonade ice blocks and a lot of social media complaining, But I did it. No cold and flu tablets, no pain medication, no man made junk in my body. Just natural healing.


Saturday to Monday was a bit of a blur! This tested my strength beyond belief and I almost gave in and went to the doctor. My fever hit an extreme high and this is when I really had to listen to my body. I was dangling on a thread of danger. If body temperatures get too high there can be serious consequences. The panadole and nurofen was there in the cupboard if I needed it, but I rugged up and decided to sweat it out. I checked my temp ever hour to ensure it didn't hit high. By Monday night I had cracked it and it went down to 38. The shivering and sweating was gone and I could actually get out of bed and my appetite had come back. From Saturday to Monday all I ate was lemonade ice blocks! They got me through! Once the fever was gone the rest was a bit easier to deal with. The coughing fits I really struggled with but I just kept calm and pushed through them.

I spent 7 days in bed nursing my body back to health. It came at the best time as I had the holidays and I had this chance to just lay in bed and deal with it all naturally. It was a huge test and I am extremely proud that I did it. Our bodies are very powerful. If you give them the chance they can do beautiful things. I choose to live medication free so my body can be as natural as possible so IF the time comes and I do need medication, my body wont be so immune to it and will heal faster!

Don't be so quick to grab the medication.
 Trust your body, know your body, let it heal itself. 

x S.K.K x

No comments: